If you have an old, long skirt that you never wear, don’t worry! Whether it hangs wrong, isn’t your colour or is just looks like you stole it from your grandma’s closet, don’t sweat it! There’s more than one way to make your clothes a trash-to-treasure success story.
Make a cute mini-dress from a tired jersey maxi skirt.
You will need:
- An old jersey maxi skirt
- A needle and thread or a sewing machine
- Some elastic for the waist
- Some chalk or a washable pencil/ pen
- Matching fabric (you can take this from the skirt later)
- Iron-on hemming tape.
1) Lay the skirt flat and draw on where your new waist will be with something that washes out. The top of the skirt will be the top of the dress now so the new waist will be lower.
2) Now take some elastic and cut it about 2.5-3 inches shorter than your own waist.
3) Turn the skirt inside out.
4) Stretch the elastic as you pin along the new waist line so that the elastic runs the whole length of the waist.
5) Sew a neat, strong seam along the elastic, removing pins as you go.
6) Now measure as much fabric from the bottom as you like, but it has to be enough to make straps from, and cut.
7) Place hemming tape on the bottom of the skirt, fold over and iron.
8) Sew it in place.
9) Now take your excess fabric, cut two wide strips twice the size you want the straps to be and sew the raw edges up, wrong sides together.
10) Turn the tubes of fabric inside out and iron flat. Sew them to the dress with strong stitches.
11) Now you have a cute mini-dress to wear on beautiful day!
That was my first sewing tutorial. If you found this helpful then like share and comment if you have any questions or suggestions to help me improve this post. I would be more than happy to help! Follow for more madness and I’ll see you all later.