How are you all? *RUNS AWAY FROM ANGRY STUDENTS TRYING TO PREPARE FOR SCHOOL*. Okay, okay. I get it!
You’re all annoyed about starting school soon and you’re freaking out! I believe that school is good for you in some ways, so don’t drop out and tell your parents it’s because Princess Blabbermouth thinks homework should be made illegal! No, but for real, although all the work is stressful and you wish you didn’t have to go back and learn things try to think of all the less fortunate who can only dream of a proper education. School teaches you how to work hard towards your goals, how to talk in front of a lot of people, working with people you don’t know very well and other life skills- yadda yadda yadda. But sometimes school is the WORST! In this post I will be sharing some tips and hacks to help those of you who are going back to school hopefully make it through this academic year alive and make you dinosaurs who left school aeons ago wish you had these pearls of wisdom.
- Night before school jitters? Can’t sleep because you’re nervous about tomorrow? Talk to someone who has been through what you are about to experience. Ask your parents or older siblings or other family and friends about any questions you have and get the worries out of your system. Write down your thoughts on paper to get them out of your head. By giving them a place to stay, they won’t bother you and you can get a good night’s sleep.
- Is that a locker or your secret academic arsenal?! Make sure you have all your essentials ready to stash in your locker(if you’re lucky enough to have one) so you’ll never get stuck without them. It’s wise to have some bottled water in there if you don’t have a fountain at school or money on you. You never know when you’ll need it!
- Keep a spare change of clothes or extra uniform in your locker. You don’t want to spill anything on yourself and walk around feeling gross all day. Take it from someone who accidentally dyed their white sleeve blue with permanent ink once. It’s not fun!
- If you are someone who skips breakfast then stock up on snacks. You can’t focus in class if your stomach is yelling at you! The point is, be prepared and expect the unexpected, you never know what life will throw at you and it’s better if you keep supplies you might need than be caught without them when you need them most.
- If you know you are a procrastinator then don’t try to convince yourself otherwise. Accept that if you don’t do your assignments as soon as you have the chance that you will likely never complete them and get on with it! Then you have all the time in the world to game, eat and sleep or whatever you do when you can’t be bothered doing anything.
- Find out what type of learner you are and then study that way to absorb as much as you can. Which way do you learn best? There are three main types: Kinaesthetic (hand-on experience and doing), Visual (images and videos), Audio (you learn by listening). I have found that I am all three and I don’t mind how information is put across to me, so once you have found how you learn best you can think of new tactics to study. You can make notes, sing a silly song or create a mind palace to remember important facts for tests.
- Keep trying. No matter how many people try to make you feel bad about yourself, how many classes you aren’t great at or how hard you find school keep trying. You are not working for anybody else’s future. How much work you put in now determines how your future pans out.
- Don’t sweat it! There are two ways you could interpret this. One being to take care of yourself and shower regularly and the other being don’t stress yourself out! It’s not the end of the world. Yes, I don’t know you or what you’re going through and no there’s no way I could offer you perfect advice. But what I do know is worrying is not going to help the situation. If something is bothering you, seek help from a responsible adult you trust, be it a parent, a teacher or an older sibling. These people are supposed to look out for you and you should never keep what’s bothering you to yourself. A problem shared is a problem halved!
That was my Back to School Survival Guide! If you enjoyed reading then like, share and comment your funniest school memory so we can all laugh about it together. Follow for more madness and I’ll see you all later!